In August 2013, a group of six Faith Community Nurses (FCNs) from the Faith Community Nurse Network of the Greater Twin Cities gathered at Charlson Meadows in Victoria, MN to discuss forming a global membership association for FCNs. FCNI was incorporated in Minnesota under the leadership of Beverly Siegrist, Chair, Andrea West, Vice-Chair, and Wanda Alexander, Secretary-Treasurer. Members were recruited and bylaws were adopted. A full Board was appointed to continue development and planning in October 2015.
In 2019 Lees-McRae College and May School of Nursing and Health Sciences became the Academic Partner and home site for Faith Community Nurses International.
FCNI strives to be a vibrant, global network of faith community nurses, empowering and supporting our members as they provide care of the mind, body, and spirit in diverse settings.
To advance the specialty practice of faith community nursing through professional education, competency development, research, and evidence-based practice.
The purpose of this professional membership organization is to:
- Advance Faith Community Nursing as a nursing specialty
- Connect Faith Community Nurses (FCNs) worldwide
- Promote financial sustainability of the specialty
- Support research in Faith Community Nursing
- Providing continuing education programs for FCNs
- Develop and maintain an online, peer-reviewed nursing journal.
- Advocate for FCNs locally, nationally, and internationally